Not too long ago, I presented 16 Convincing Reasons to Avoid Processed Foods. The response was well-received from readers. Isn’t it shocking to learn the horrors of what goes on in processed food manufacturing?
So I decided to provide even more reasons to stop eating processed, chemical-laden foods.
Many packaged, processed foods contain more unpronounceable, bio-chemistry type ingredients rather than actual real foods. Become an active participant in knowing what you are putting into your mouth simply by looking at the list of ingredients before you put the product into your shopping cart.
If the product contains chemicals and things unpronounceable, then don’t purchase it — do your health and the health of your loved ones a favor. Also, if you see the words “high fructose corn syrup” or “hydrogenated oils” or “trans fats” or “soybean oil” or “corn oil” then step far far away. These ingredients are linked to heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and neuro-degenerative disease.
Below is a list of 13 more convincing reasons to avoid processed foods. Replace processed foods with real, whole foods. Quick tip: the lesser the number of ingredients in the product, the better. Shop the perimeter when at the grocery store — or better yet, get to know your farmers by buying from the local Farmer’s Market.
1. A University of Cincinnati study found that a diet high in fructose and trans fat doesn’t just lead to obesity — it also causes oxidative damage to the liver that decreases your body’s ability to eliminate toxins.
2. Only 1 percent of obesity is caused by genetics; the rest is caused by diet.
3. Cockroaches and flies that visit factory farms are becoming resistant to antibiotics, and researchers at North Carolina State University fear these bugs may spread this resistance into nearby towns.
4. Today, more kids recognize McDonald’s Golden Arches than the Christian cross.
5. People who eat foods with artificial sweeteners often end up consuming more total calories per day. It’s likely because these sweeteners are so much sweeter than sugar that they prime the brain’s desire for even more sweet foods.
6. Residues of more than seventy pesticides have been found in individual boxes of cereal.
7. Like tobacco companies before them, processed-food manufacturers now offer “healthier” versions of products that are no better at preventing disease than the foods that preceded them. In other words, low-tar cigarettes equal low-fat cookies.
8. Lay’s Light and Pringles Light potato chips contain olestra, a fat substitute that leaches fat-soluable nutrients like vitamin D from the body and causes diarrhea, bloating, and “anal leakage.”
9. Soy protein, found abundantly in processed foods, has been linked to infertility in women.
10. One or more rodent hairs are allowed per hundred grams of peanut butter.
11. Most processed foods contain at least one — if not several — soy-derived ingredient. While considered to be healthy, consumption of soy products is associated with cognitive decline and brain atrophy.
12. Candy corn is actually made with corn — corn syrup.
13. The hidden costs of the dollar menu at fast-food chains are steep. The annual expense of medical care and missed work add up to $83 billion for depression, $183 billion for Alzheimer’s disease, $270 billion for obesity, and $174 billion for diabetes.
Resource: The Happiness Diet by Tyler Graham.
Thanks for reading folks. So what do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Subscribe above right to receive newly published blog entries instantly in your email inbox!Follow @ChikaObih1
Chika Obih is a certified holistic nutrition consultant; blogger; and founder of Chika Obih Wellness based in Oakland, CA and offers consulting services virtually, in-person or by phone. Chika is passionate about empowering people to take charge of their own health utilizing the power of wholesome, clean foods and fun holistic lifestyle solutions. Contact Chika today to set up your free consultation.
- 16 Convincing Reasons to Avoid Processed Foods (soul-wholesome.com)
- Sexiful Foods – Beauty Talk (Video post!!) (soul-wholesome.com)
- Easy Shrimp Cocktail (With Cooking Video!) (soul-wholesome.com)
- Healthy vs. Toxic Relationships – Are you entertaining toxic people in your life? (soul-wholesome.com)