When you want food that tastes like gourmet, sometimes you have to prepare it yourself. Pan-grilled stead with mashed cauliflower is the ultimate gourmet, comfort meal which can easily be made in your kitchen. Not only will it save you money by preparing it yourself instead of ordering it at a restaurant, but it will be fresher and the flavors will come together so well, it will actually taste better than the restaurant variety!
Whenever I’m feeling fancy, I enjoy making this dish and pairing it with a good Cabernet. Sometimes a girl’s gotta treat herself!
I originally posted the Pan-grilled steak recipe here. But now that I have a cooking video to go along with it, I am posting the recipe in this post. Read the original post for knowledge on why you should purchase grass-fed meat (nutrients, taste, weight loss, etc), pictures of steak preparation, and other health tidbits.
Pan-Grilled Steak with Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 steak (cut of choice), 1 inch thick – (I used Ribeye)
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil (or fat of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided for each side
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided for each side
- sprinkle of dried thyme, on each side
- sprinkle of dried sage, on each side
- 16oz bag frozen organic cauliflower (or 1 head fresh, chopped)
- 1/4 cup bone broth (or chicken or vegetable broth; or water)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & pepepr, each
1. Put broth in a medium sized pot on medium heat on stove until slightly boiling.
2. Add cauliflower, put top on pot, reduce heat to low-medium and let cook for about 7 minutes. Cauliflower is ready when you can easily pierce it with a fork, but not mushy. Set aside and let cool.
3. While cauliflower is cooling, prep your steak by sprinkling thyme, sage, salt, and pepper on both sides of the steak.
4. Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil. When oil is heated through, place the steak in the skillet and let cook for about 3 minutes, flip, then cook an additional 3 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and plate steak. Let sit while you finish mashing your cauliflower.
6. Place cauliflower in a mixing bowl. Add the butter, salt and pepper.
7. With a hand blender, mash the cauliflower until it resembles mashed potatoes. If you do not have a hand mixer, you can use a regular blender.
8. Spoon the cauliflower onto the plate next to the steak. Enjoy!
Click here to get juicy food and life notes straight from Chika to your inbox!
Chika Obih is a certified holistic nutrition consultant; blogger; and founder of Chika Obih Wellness based in Oakland, CA and offers services virtually, in-person or by phone. Chika is passionate about empowering people to take charge of their own health utilizing the power of wholesome, clean foods and fun holistic lifestyle solutions. Contact Chika today to set up your free consultation.
- Tuna Avocado Lettuce Wraps (with a Cooking Video!) (soul-wholesome.com)