I’ve never had to wear 3 pairs of socks with my Uggs — until today. Man it’s cold in Oakland, CA. I’ve been living out here for almost 10 years now but my body is still, and probably will always be, adapted to hot Los Angeles weather — where I was born and raised. Yep I’m a #Lakerfan and I #bleedpurpleandgold.
Thank goodness for this hot cup of Peppermint tea keeping me warm. Ladies and gentlemen, I think I’ll be alright. On to the good stuff…
I didn’t know cauliflower was hated by so many people. Personally, over the years I have come to enjoy this white flowery looking cruciferous vegetable. In fact, it is one of my favorites because I get to make delicious recipes with it such as roasted cauliflower and mashed cauliflower aka “I-can’t-believe-it’s-not-mashed-potatoes.” I am slowly winning over new fans of cauliflower when I share with them this roasted cauliflower dish. If you are not a vegetable lover and are looking for a way to get more veggies into your daily meals, this roasted cauliflower recipe will soon become a favorite.
If you really want to increase your health food game, include at least 2-3 servings of cruciferous vegetables each week. Crucifers are often touted as “the superfoods” of vegetables. They include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, collard greens, and bok choy. A listing of cruciferous vegetables’ benefits include:
- Lowers risk for cancer
- Reduces oxidative stress
- Detox support
- Rich in antioxidants
- Promotes fat loss
- Reduces cardiovascular risk
- Supports immune health
- 5 cups cauliflower (one medium-sized crown)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest OR 1/4 teaspoon dried lemon peel
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut cauliflower into 1.5 inch pieces keeping them as uniform as possible.
3. Toss cauliflower, olive oil and salt and pepper together in a bowl.
4. Place in one layer on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes then take out and mix around each piece to ensure uniform roasting.
5. Put back into oven for 12 minutes watching closely for light golden brown color.
6. Place back into bowl and toss with chives and lemon zest.
Serve as a side dish or eat cold as a snack. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Makes 2-3 servings.Follow @ChikaObih1